There has been quite a trend in online books since the dawn of internet. People find it more useful and easy to read books online on their Kindle or smartphone devices instead of buying a new book from the store.
Writing e-books about things which are hard to research is quite a trend and people search for a relevant e-book rather than googling different aspects of a single subject.
As such there is no hardbound guide for developing and selling e-books; you can write a short novella or something informative depending on your choice for your e-book. Generally, here are the rules to writing and selling e-books for beginners.
How To Make Money By Selling E-books
If you do not already have a genre defined for writing then you can simply search for trending topics on the market and find information relating to them.
If you are targeting a certain category then you can search various queries and problems and different sources for information already available. Write an e-book on which less information is available so that it sells quickly.
- Determine your website.
Websites for selling e-books, such as Amazon, Barnes and Noble etc. take a certain percentage of every sale that you make through them.
Other websites such as Clickbank etc. charge you with a single fee for every product or a monthly fee for subscription.
Choose a title which defines the contents of your book clearly. Hire a few people or take advice from a few sources before settling for the title of your e-book.
4. Information Sources.
IF you are writing an e-book then first make sure where your target audience is headed for information regarding the topic of your book. Check out famous websites and forums which offer advice and information to people.
5. Write accordingly.
IF your e-book is targeted on basic solutions then your audience is larger and you would want to have an e-book which is more informal and friendly. If your e-book is targeted for a certain level of professionals then you can adjust it accordingly to your needs.
Keep the structure and flow constant and don’t let any parts of the e-book be filled with redundant information.
6. Hire people.
You should consider hiring an editor and a proofreader to ensure your book’s quality before you decide to let it hit the stands. You should also get a few people to read and review the book before finalizing it.
7. Release & Advertise.
Try contacting various advertising agencies or magazines relating to the industry targeted by your e-book for promoting your e-book.
You could also ask various blogs and websites to feature your book along with a release date if possible.
8. Feature your book.
Choose an attractive photo or hire a graphic designer to craft one for you to link with your e-book. Your e-book should have a nice picture attached to it so that people can click on it and go to the sales page easily.
There are a number of marketing strategies and tips to keep in mind while developing an e-book. While all of the above are general basics which need to be applied, keeping a few additional points in mind will help you market them in a better way.
- Free Giveaways. No one minds a free e-book and you can use this tendency to give away e-books for free to people while marketing them also. Giving your book for free will get your marketing going initially and if your book is good enough then you will get huge sales benefits as soon as your free period is over. Keep the free period between 30 to 90 days depending on your requirement.
- Right Price: There is always a debate on what price you should offer for your e-book. Don’t think that you will make only a dollar or two but think how many sales you will be able to generate. If you keep the price low for a popular book then your profits will add up as sales increase and people buying e-books are generally on a strict budget.
- Partners: Choose various e-book blogs and websites for supporting you. Partnering up with blogs will help you reach the circle of e-book readers since most of them go to generalized sources for searching e-books.
- Paid book reviews: A friend or a well-wisher might find it impeccably hard to criticize your work. Choose for paid reviews through different websites. Paid reviews will help you clear all the small errors your book might have.
- Sponsors: Find a sponsor to help you with the costs. There is nothing better than a stranger putting their faith in you. If you have a sponsor then you will most likely sell because sponsors don’t get behind an e-book which won’t sell.
- Covers: The covers (both front and back) along with inner flaps if they have content should be designed carefully. Your cover should be such that the title of the book is readable easily through the thumbnails also. Try to get a graphic designer who has an experience with e-books to design the covers.
- Product Description: Write a clear and defined description for the e-book. Some websites allow their users to include HTML tags in the description so check out for that too.
- More books: Publish more books and try to publish them with consistency. Some of your books might be sold over the charts while others might lag behind trying to cope up.
Anyhow, more number of books to your resume will only bring more customers to you. A writer who has a number of e-books looks more reliable and experienced.
- Social Media: Do not underestimate the power of social media. Post links and articles relating to your books with embedded links to websites such as facebook, twitter etc.
- Associated people: If you are starting out, you will get good deals through a well selected agent. Agents are quite a good source for boosting your sales after you have reached a certain level of sales.
If you are making money through a number of platforms and sources then you might want to have a manager for keeping records also.
- Experimentation: Try out new genres and topics when selling e-books. Do not simply stick to one topic with all the might you have. Keep researching and try to come up with different ideas till you are successful with your work.